About Me

I am a Christian mother of five, and our highest goal as a family is to serve God in every aspect of our lives. Jesus promised His disciples 'life in all its abundance' (John 10:10) - that has been our story, a rich life, not devoid of challenges, but certainly abundant. Previously writing at www.homeeducationnovice.blogspot.com, we have come to realise that education is just one area where our faith shapes our choices and direction in life. This blog seeks to share our adventure (using font only to enable access in settings with poor internet)

Monday 25 June 2012

What do our children see in us?

Yesterday we listened to a John Piper sermon entitled 'One generation shall praise your works to another' based on Psalm 145. I found it inspirational!

http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/one-generation-shall-praise-your-works-to-another

There is a lot of truth contained here! Firstly, the need for parents to assume their God-given responsibility for the spiritual education of their children (athough it is not wrong to involve others in this). Secondly, the importance of churches supporting parents in this task is discussed.

What really spoke to me was about what the educationalists might term the 'hidden curriculum' or the 'silent curriculum'. It is not always what we say which has the greatest impact upon our children, but our attitudes, and our approach to situations. It is not simply a matter of giving our children a solid doctrinal basis, teaching them 'memory verses' having them learn the facts about God (although these things do have a role). More importantly, they should see their parents living lives of true worship.

It is not enough simply to teach, but to live our lives as an example. That is challenging and sobering! Do I negate the values I try to teach through an indifferent attitude? Does I speak one message with my mouth, and another with my life? Do my priorities truly reflect the most important things?

I pray that as I learn to love my Lord more and more that my children will hear me praise His works to them. I pray that daily they see heartfelt and spontaneous thanksgiving, and a desire to serve Him and honour Him even when costly. I pray that I am in no way a hindrance to my children's growing relationship with Him. And I pray that God gives me the strength, perseverence and grace to continue in the wonderful task I have been given! We cannot do this in our own strength, and daily depend on His provision.


No comments:

Post a Comment